Thursday, June 24, 2010

Do you need anything?

    Today is the last day of school before summer vacation for my youngest. My wife being the good mother that she is has been asking the boy for a week about any end of school year parties or activities. "Are you having a party?" and "Do you need any snacks for the last day?" were among the questions asked on a daily basis for a week. Inevitably the answer was always "No".
    Yesterday evening upon leaving the house I mentioned that I was going to the store and asked the demon spawn I lovingly refer to as my children if we needed anything. Again the answer was "No". 
    After dinner we all sat in the living room watching some Doctor Who, a personal favorite of my children. I was feeling good. It had been a decent day, the children were content, and I was reveling in the fact that for one last night I could send the kids to bed early under the guise that tomorrow was still a school day. My last peace for more than two months.
    Sometime after 8:30 p.m. my youngest sits bolt upright on the couch, a distressed look claims his face. A panicked and shaky voice asks "Dad, can you get me a snack for my party tomorrow?"
Yet another mini-stroke rattles dad.
    You will never convince me my children aren't holding clandestine weekly meetings where they think up new ways to mess with dad.
    
   

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment